May 22 Exec Meeting

| 4:30 PM EDT | MC3036 CSC Office

Minutes for CSC Exec Meeting May 22, 2003 * Add staff to burners group. -- Only office staff (people who do stuff) on burners list -- No objections from executives * We still need a webmaster, imapd -- Action Item: Mike --Check for pop delivery services (Like Grocery Gateway) so that we can replace imapd with an automated cronjob -- If this gets implemented, we must make sure that someone is around to receive the pop whenever it is delivered. * Budgets Action Item: Simon -- Make sure execs receive a copy of the proposed budget Action Item: Mark -- Look into claiming money from Mathsoc for the last term. --Will be looked over the week after next Monday at the Mathsoc Budget meeting. --June 27th is the WEF (Engineering Endowment Fund) deadline --EngSoc proposal for donations by the end of the month -- Around 15 events planned --Foreign Speaker --CS Departmant will pay for flight -- We can pay local expenses --Pints with Profs --Ro-Sham-Bo *Changes in the MathSoc Clubs Policy Action Item: Jim and Stefanus --Bring thus up with MathSoc --Might be good to talk to Bioinformatics about this, as they have science faculty members to take care of as well. --Major issue: People who revoke their Mathsoc fees can still be voting 	members --We want it so that only people who have paid dues to Mathsoc can vote. --Execs should not take back fees, as that is bad form. --All execs unanimously agreed with this proposal *Confirming that we have free printing and photocopying Action Item: Mark --Does Faculty of Math billing code apply to CSC (as Faculty of Math department?) -- Procedures manual has a billing code, but it should be confirmed. -- Ask MUO, then Shirley after that. Action Item: Simon --Apparently there is a special Watcard that provides free printing from MFCF --We do not know what account it is mapped to, or the password. * Getting csc_disk, csc, csc_ceo accounts on undergrad to work again. Action Item: Phil -- Get csc-disk back up for student use. -- What group permissions do we need? -- CSC-Disk should be used as a repository for custom window managers, Mozilla, etc... (selling factor for CSC accounts) -- We should also have an announcement (MOTD, perhaps?) that we are providing and supporting this software. --Consider: Having university-wide accessible binaries might be a pain, as different machines might require different compilations. -- CSC-Disk is full of user data. Should that be blown away? *Getting locker #7 from MathSoc (Don't we already have lockers 788 and 789?) --Why were the locks snipped? (Bring up at council meeting) --We would prefer one combo-lock and one key-lock. * Review of the CSC office organization Action Item: Damien --Give Mike sudo access for shutdown --Will be rewiring stuff on Saturday --involves re-plugging machines Action Item: Simon --Get rubber wheels for chairs Action Item: Mike -- Ask PlantOps about: --Waxing floors --Installing Electronic Lock (asap) --According to Faculty of Math, we shouldn't need keys. --Currently, we still need keys --It is kosher to install Electronic lock --This provides access right control as compared to key-control. --Might be long term project. --Will green men do it? --Steam-clean chairs (at least once a term) --Cork-board --Making ugly wall prettier --PlantOps knows about office organization, making environment better. --Whiteboards need to be put up --Proposal: Cork-board on pillar (no objections) --Metal frames on Whiteboard will be in least annoying place *Do we provide public stapler access? --People are often unappreciative and rude --Sign -  "Stapler if you say please" -- Unanimously voted stapler policy *MathSoc Sign --Action Item: Jim --Find out where to get CSC sign before Monday so we can claim it in old budget. * Librarian's Report --Action Item: Jim --Find perl volunteer to finish CEO --Force Stefanus to export CVS tree and put onto Peri --Books were scanned into system with help of Mark --All books with valid barcodes entered into system on May 20th --Books without valid barcodes are not in system --Someone needs to do it --Plan is to implement Dewey decimal system --May be inefficient as all books are about CS --We will figure out a system later --No plans to purchase new books --Librarian's Request:	Office Staff should not lend out books that do not have barcodes (No objects to request) --We are still using /media/iso/request to track books --Should be charge late fees for books? --We should have money in budget for repairing,maintaining books --Before spending money on maintaining books, check if DC will do it --will it be cheaper/easier/better? *Setting up extra quota for fun and profit. -- We don't implement quota properly right now -- Low demand for extra quota -- Counterpoint: Old CSC made tons of money -- Counter-counter-point: It's not that necessary for extra quota nowadays. -- Executives voted against proposal. *Jim will spam with an update about the term --Consider making it opt-in --One email from a service you are using should be considered reasonable mass mailing *Should Jim bring anything up at the MathSoc meeting?** -- Has a list * Student branches for ACM and IEEE Action Item: Gaelan --Contact IEEE Computing Society in UW and ask if they want to merge or transfer society to us --Simon volunteers to be put down as exec for ACM --ACM rules state requirement that exec is a ACM member --Do we renew Calum's ACM membership? --Yes (3 Yes; 1 No; 1 Abstention) --ACM membership money in budget --ACM Student chapter form has not come in * What to do with the donated Procedures Manual? --Term Task for webpage: --Put procedures manual on web-page. --Merge with current manual --We don't have a hard copy --Would be a good thing to read. --Many parts need updating