Michael L. Baker (mlbaker) - Pure Mathematics - University of Waterloo
Michael L. Baker ("mlbaker")
Email: adex7ehaiyimocxunpaq (at) gmail (dot) com (remove all vowels from first segment Y IS NOT A VOWEL)
Talks, projects, and seminars:
- COURSE NOTES and related materials (review documents, assignments, etc.).
- triple-involution (blog; usually technical).
- mlbaker.org (older blog; mostly personal recently, but essentially dead).
- I frequently write anonymously in other places.
- Stone-Čech compactification, final talk for PMATH 753 (Functional Analysis). Fall 2012.
- Seminar on Modern Algebraic Geometry (with Yossef Musleh and Eeshan Wagh). Spring 2013.
- The local normal form for holomorphic mappings of Riemann surfaces, final talk for PMATH 764 (Algebraic Curves). Spring 2013.
- Injective envelopes of operator spaces, final talk/paper for PMATH 822 (Operator Spaces). Fall 2013.
- Seminar on Semisimple Lie Theory. Spring 2014.
- Guest talk for MUMs Algebraic Geometry Study Group, University of Toronto. June 20, 2014.
- An introduction to topological quantum field theories (based on Jacob Lurie's talk), CUMC 2014 at Carleton University. July 4, 2014.
- Seminar on Complex Function Theory. Fall 2014.
- A motivated introduction to sheaves, Waterloo Geometry Working Seminar. September 19, 2014.
- q-nonsense, PMAMC&OC Short Attention Span Math Seminars. November 19, 2014.
- The probability that a random monic p-adic polynomial splits (based on arXiv:math/0404057v1 [math.NT]), final talk/paper for PMATH 940 (p-adic Analysis). November 27, 2014.
- Sheaf cohomology and affine schemes, final paper for PMATH 945 (Arithmetic Dynamics). December 1, 2014.
- Seminar on Class Field Theory (with Raymond Cheng and Ritvik Ramkumar). Winter 2015.
- q-nonsense (extended version), SUMM 2015 at Université de Montréal. January 10, 2015.
- Category theory: a framework for reasoning, informal talk. January 31, 2015.
- Group C*-algebras and representations of locally compact groups, final talk for PMATH 810 (Banach Algebras and Operator Theory). Winter 2015.
- Stability and geometric invariant theory, final talk for PMATH 965 (Kähler-Einstein Metrics on Compact Kähler Manifolds). Winter 2015.
- Elliptic curves and Galois representations (extemporaneous), PMAMC&OC Short Attention Span Math Seminars. June 3, 2015.
- Modular forms and elliptic curves, Waterloo Student Number Theory Seminar. June 10, 2015.
- Elliptic curves over finite fields and their l-torsion Galois representations. Master's thesis presentation. July 27, 2015.
- A few more informal talks given at PMAMC&OC events.
- Other expository writing:
- CUMC 2010, University of Waterloo.
- CUMC 2012, University of British Columbia Okanagan.
- CUMC 2013, University of Montreal.
- SUMM 2014, Concordia University. January 10-12, 2014.
- 22nd Ontario Combinatorics Workshop, York University. May 16-17, 2014.
- 14th Canadian Summer School on Quantum Information, University of Guelph. June 16-20, 2014.
- CUMC 2014, Carleton University. July 2-5, 2014.
- SUMM 2015, Université de Montréal, January 9-11, 2015.
- Computational aspects of the Langlands program, ICERM, September 9-16, 2015.
- Conference on Differential Geometry, honouring Claude LeBrun's mathematical contributions, Université du Québec à Montréal, July 5-9, 2016.
- Montreal-Toronto Workshop in Number Theory, Université de Montréal, December 8-9, 2016.
- B.Math.; University of Waterloo; Honours Pure Mathematics; Honours Combinatorics and Optimization; June 2014.
- M.Math.; University of Waterloo; Pure Mathematics; October 2015.
This page was last updated on 2016-10-17