Hi, I'm Luke.
I'm in my third year of computer science at the University of Waterloo.
I have a couple coop terms in 2018 and 2019. If you or your company is interested in hiring me for a few months, you can email me.
Most of my experience is in writing desktop and server applications. This ranges from writing a GUI to implementing hash functions and encryption schemes. I've worked on JIT compilers and databases. I have a bit of experience making 3D things.
Snowflake Computing - Software Developer
Spring - Fall 2017
- Wrote high-performance C++ for the Snowflake SQL execution engine
- Implemented optimizations resulting in a 13% improvement in an industry standard benchmark
- Built new SQL features compliant with the SQL standard
IBM - JIT Compiler Developer
- Ported the OMR JIT compiler to OS X
- Designed and implemented a framework to test compiler optimizations
- Participated in the OMR open source community
TextNow - Internal Tools Developer
- Implemented new features on RESTful micro services using Ruby on Rails, PHP and MySQL
- Developed an inventory reconciliation tool
- Aggregated customer support call metrics into a dashboard using Ruby, Grafana and InfluxDB
Argyle BIA - Web Developer
Summer 2013 & 2014
- Built the Argyle BIA website using PHP and MySQL
- Documented custom features for future website managers
Projects and other goodies:
- LICK - Install and manage Puppy Linux installations from Windows in a few clicks. Supports Windows 95 to 10. Mostly written in C.
- Cryptopals Challenges - My solutions to the Cryptopals Crypto Challenges, a set of security and encryption challenges. I am mostly done set 7. Written in Scala.
- Planck - A basic 3D software renderer. Written in Scala, with a heavy emphasis onimmuatable types and higher order functions. Most of the interesting code can be found in the Renderer class.
You can see more of my projects on github.
- Haiku OS - As part of Google Code-in 2014, I made a variety of contributions to Haiku, including:
- writing recipes to package programs
- contributing to two small games, BeSpider and HexVexed
- writing two translators - wrappers around OptiPNG and aalib to allow easy usage of each in Haiku
- Woof (CE) - I've made a few small contributions to Woof, and later Woof-CE.
- Various other projects