Final Tournament Description
Here is the latest plan as to how the final rankings will be produced. If any of these rules don't make sense to you, post your feedback on the forums. Rather than imposing some set of arbitrary rules on people, we would much rather include everybody in the debate, and basically let the contestants write the rules themselves.
- The submission deadline is Feb 26 at 11:59 PM EST, one minute before midnight.
- The contest staff will aim to produce high-quality unofficial rankings within 30 minutes of the submission deadline. This is our goal, but it is not a guarantee.
- After the submission deadline passes, you will not be able to submit any new entries.
- After the submission deadline passes, the leaderboard will continue to update as usual. This will continue until the rankings settle. Once the rankings settle, the leaderboard will be frozen and the results will become final.
- We will try our best to have a complete roundrobin tournament before freezing the leaderboard and announcing final results. If it starts to look like this won't be feasible, we will start temporarily suspending low-ranking entries in order to guarantee that the remaining higher-ranking entries all play against one another at least once. The suspended entries will be reinstated later. In short, we will run the very largest roundrobin tournament that we can, given the time and resources that we have available to us.
- The conditions in the final tournament will be similar to the conditions in the everday tournament. No new limitations on your programs will be introduced. By and large, any program that works before the submission deadline should continue to work after the submission deadline.
- There won't be any any maps larger than 50x50 in the final tournament. The maps will typically range from 15x15 to 30x30, but no guarantees about that. The maps may be completely different than the ones currently used in the everyday tournament.
- We will do whatever we can to produce high-quality, precise rankings within 30 minutes of the sumission deadline, even if it means deviating from the exact framework described in these rules. Our calculations indicate that this should be possible. However, we reserve the right to be resourceful and flexible if things don't go as planned.
Do you have feedback or additional questions? Please post on the forums. Rather than imposing some arbitrary set of rules on you, we would rather just let the contestants write the rules themselves! If any of these rules don't make sense to you, you can change them!